Monday, 8 April 2013

My Dream First Date


I checked myself in the mirror, slightly nervous. I had arrived early out of nervousness. 'How Stupid' I thought. I sighed and got out of the car walking towards the front door on the lookout for sprinklers. I had had that unfortunates before. I rung the doorbell. A few moments later one of her sisters opened the door “Hi...Summer?” I asked.
“No! I'm Marissa” she squealed, and opened the door.
“Kaitlin's in her room” Marissa said.
“I'll go get her!” Summer shouted running past towards the stairs. “Hi Jeremy!” she called. I quickly grabbed Summer's arm, “I'll go Sum” I said. Summer nodded and grabbed Marissa's arm dragging her back to the TV. I had to laugh at them as I climbed the stairs. I saw a colorful sign with Kaitlin's name on it so I walked up to the door. Just as I went to knock I heard some music start, 'Fearless' by Taylor Swift. Then softly Kaitlin's voice came in. “There's something bout the way, the street looks when it's just rained, there's a glow on the pavement, you walk me to the car and you know I wanna ask you to dance right here, in the middle of the parking lot, yeah”. 'wow' I thought. I knocked “Kait? It's Jeremy, you ready?”. I smiled as I heard Kaitlin stop the music player.
“Um, just about” she said.
“I'll wait downstairs” I  offered.
 “Thanks” she said.
As I turned to go I heard Kaitlin start singing again “and I don't know how it gets better than this, you take my hand and drag me headfirst fearless, and  I don't know why but with you I'd dance, in a storm in my best dress fearless” I smiled as I went downstairs. 'See' I thought  'nothing to worry about'.

I sat downstairs with Kaitlin's family chatting to them. Suddenly Kaitlin appeared. She looked amazing in the jeans and long sleeveless top she was wearing. I noticed that the blue of the top brought out her eyes.  He smiled at her. She blushed and let her hair fall into her face which only made her look more beautiful. Suddenly I wanted nothing more than to push it away and kiss her right then. Instead I got up and hugged her. “Hey” I said softly, just loud enough for her to hear me.
"Hi” she whispered back. I reluctantly let go of her. “so, Eleven?” Kaitlin asked her mum, she nodded. “Bye Mrs. Jacobs” I say. “Bye Marissa, Bye Sum”. They smiled at me.

I walked out Kaitlin's front door and held her door open for her as she slid in. She smiled at me. I walked around to my side of the car. “You know what?” I say turning to her.
“No what?” she asked.
"It's still early, how about we go over to the beach and watch the sunset?” I ask. I cringe, thinking she'll think I'm cheesy. “And we can get fish and chips” I say trying to make it more appealing. She nodded. “Sure” she said. “Do you have a picnic rug?” Kaitlin asks. “Oh, there goes that idea” I say. Kaitlin laughs and jumps out of the car, she opens the door and runs inside and comes back outside with a picnic rug folded up in a bag. I laughed as Kaitlin jumped back in the car. “Okay, ready?” I ask, she nods and I start the car and we drive down the road.

I glance across at Kaitlin a few times while I drove the twenty minutes to the beach. “Wait here” I say to her and jumped out of the car, I ran into the takeaway shop and got our fish and chips. I handed them to Kaitlin and jumped back in the car to park across the road. I ran around and opened her door before grabbing the food off her. “Oh, is that how it is?” she teases. “Open my door so you can steal my food” she says trying to grab it back off me. I keep it just out of her reach as she grabs me around the waist to try and get it. I stumble and I grab Kaitlin to steady myself before we both fall. I looked at her to make sure she was okay, and then I was mesmerized in her eyes. I stared at her for a few seconds before leaning forward slightly to kiss her ...“BEEP!” I looked up, a car wanted the spot next to my car and Kaitlin's door was still open. I let go of Kaitlin before grabbing the rug out of the car and shutting her door. I locked the car and led Kaitlin down the stairs.
I handed Kaitlin the food while I set up the picnic rug. “Don't run away with that” I say teasingly. I felt awkward from the moment before. “Hmm, I'm considering it” she said seriously, “You know I came for the free food right?” she said. I got up, “Is that so?” I ask seriously. Kaitlin sat down. “No, I came cause I wanted to, nothing less” she said. Kaitlin raised her eyes to look at me, and again I was made speechless by her look. I sat beside her and busied myself with with unwrapping the food. We ate quietly and quickly. As we finished I looked out at the sea, the sun was just about to start setting. I ran up the stairs and dumped the rubbish in the bin, then I grabbed a jacket out of the car for Kaitlin. I stood at the top of the stairs just staring out at the beach. I wondered if Kaitlin knew how much I wanted her? How much I liked her? I glanced down at her and she had wrapped her arms around her legs and was staring out at the sea, her hair flying about.

I went back down and sat next to Kaitlin. She smiled at me. I smiled back at her and put my arm around her. She didn't look at me as she moved closer and nested her head on my shoulder. I closed my eyes, breathing in her scent, I reached down with my other hand and found her hand and squeezed it softly. Kaitlin and I sat there until long after the sun had set.

I glanced around. We literally had the beach to ourselves. I let go of Kaitlin and lay down staring at the stars. Kaitlin glanced down at me shyly before laying down too. After awhile of silence Kaitlin took a deep breath, “Wow, it's beautiful” she said.
"Not as beautiful as you” I say absentmindedly. There was more silence. Then it hit me that I had actually said that out loud. “Jeremy...tell me something?” Kaitlin asked. She sounded scared, but I couldn't see her face, it had gotten that dark. “Yeah?” I say.
“Why did you ask me out?” she asked. I lay there, trying to formulate an answer. “Kait...” I say. I closed my eyes, and  then decided to go for the truth. “I've liked you for ages, I just never knew how to ask you...your friend Drew caught me staring at you  in chem and convinced me to ask you out..I never dreamed that you'd say yes” I end softly. “What about you?” I say. “Why'd you say yes?” I ask.

Kaitlin rolled over to face me. I resisted the urge to pull her closer to me. “I said yes cause you seemed really interesting, and I thought tonight would be fun...I never thought...I never thought I'd end up falling for you the way I have” she said in a near whisper. She shivered. I reached over and spread my jacket over her. She smiled. I stood up. “C'mon” I say. I pull her up. “It's time to go” I say reluctantly. I fold up the rug and stick it in the bag. I put my arm around Kaitlin and as we walk up the stairs towards the car, I lean over and kiss the top of her head.

We drove back to Kaitlin's house in silence. When we pulled up I got out and walked her to the door. At the gate I put the bag down, before reaching for Kaitlin's hands. They were shaking. I smiled at her. I pulled her closer to me, and she finally looked up at me. I wrapped my arms around her before leaning over to kiss her. Halfway through the kiss, thunder rumbled and it started pouring. We started laughing and then I kissed her again. As I let go of her I leaned over and kissed her cheek “Thank you” she said. “Tonight was perfect in so many ways.”
I smiled “Again Kait?” she nodded and let go to go inside. I watched her go before leaving myself. She was right, it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment