Monday, 8 April 2013

Memories and Futures



CHAPTER 1

“Welcome back Marissa” said my boss Nicole. “Thanks Nic” I smiled. I went to go into my room to set up. “oh, Marissa?” I backtracked. “you have a new girl, Kaitlin” Nic told me. “today?” I asked smiling. The name Kaitlin reminded me of a friend of mine. Nic nodded and handed me her enrollment form. I glanced quickly through it. Kaitlin was 2, toilet trained and got called Kait. I wandered into my room where my assistant Tessa was setting up. “oh, thanks” I smiled gratefully. “how are you?” Tessa asked. Before I had time to answer one of my children ran up to me crying. “Jess! Whats wrong?” I asked picking her up. “Ryan stole my baby” Jess whimpered. I hugged her as Ryan came up. “Ryan” I said sternly. Ryan handed me the doll and ran off. Jess hopped down and ran over to the sandpit. Tessa laughed and I smiled. “Uh, Marissa?” I turned towards the door.

A little girl with long black hair and beautiful blue eyes was standing with her mum. “Kait?” I asked. Her mum nodded. “I'm Abbey”. I smiled at her. That name reminded me of another friend. I looked at her. Wow, it was her, so did that mean?...was I going to see him again?.... “well, I'm Marissa, and this is my assistant Tessa” I say. Tessa smiled. I showed Abbey where to put Kaitlin's things. When she left, Kaitlin came to me. Abbey turned at the door. “her dad'll pick her up at around four” she said. I smiled and Kaitlin waved goodbye. At that point I had no idea what would happen when I met her dad.

My day was a busy one. Surprisingly there were a lot of tears. As four o'clock came around I found myself with only four children. Tessa had gone home, and my room was vacuumed. But I was on till close. I decided to merge my kids with next doors. I came back to find a man looking around. “excuse me?” I say warmly. “oh, I'm Kaitlin's dad” he said turning. A few moments later. “Marissa?” the man says surprised. That was when I truly looked into his eyes. 'whoa' I thought. Then it hit me, there was only one person who could stun me like that by looking at me. “Sean?” I ventured. He smiled and nodded. Then he (possibly because he knew I wouldn't) hugged me. I hugged him back. As we drew back I stumbled. “I'll...I'll go get Kait” I say. Sean smiled. A few seconds later, Kaitlin and I returned. “Daddy!” Kaitlin smiled. I handed her over. “guess what Daddy? Miss Marissa played your favorite song!” Kaitlin exclaimed. I glanced puzzled at Kaitlin while I mentally replayed my CD's play list. “ 'This Is Me'? Still?” I whisper. Sean smiles. “obviously its something you still think about” he says, glancing at me knowingly. I smile back at him, lost in my thoughts. Then Kaitlin interrupts, “Daddy can we go home?” she asks. Sean nods and I help pack up Kaitlin's bag. When we're done, Sean stands there, smiling at me, like he knows what I'm thinking...(well actually he did know) “you know you want to” he says. I bite my lip for a second then leaned over and hugged him. When we let go, we laugh. Then he leaves.

I rung my old friend (not to mention Sean's ex-girlfriend) Grace that night. She was also surprised to hear that he had a little girl. “I feel sorry for you. This must be hard on you” she says. I smile. “I'm sorry” I apologize. “your his ex, I think its gotta be harder on you”. I say. “Marissa, I'm over it, we went out, but it was what? Seven years ago?” Grace says. I can hear her moving around. “yeah. I'm surprised that I made up with you, but not him. I've really missed him. He was my best friend...I loved him” I say, struggling to hold back tears. “I know you have” Grace says sympathetically. “Marissa? Want me to come over?” she asks. I think for a second. “no, thanks though” I need to be by myself” I say. We hang up and I go to bed and dig out my old diary. It'd been ages since I looked at it. As soon as I opened it, I knew I'd be remembering Sean and how our story went. 'here goes' I thought.


 CHAPTER 2

'March 10/09
I sat next to that guy Sean in Maths today. God, he reminds me of George...he seems really nice though, I helped him a bit with our work. He tried to make me laugh a few times. That was funny. Then he reminds me that lunch was half an hour early today, then he forgets when the bell rings... I don't want to get too close to him though, cause of him reminding me of George, God I miss him...But there's something about Sean. I can't explain it.''

'March 16/09
I asked him out. I broke up with George, and I had a really great time with Sean today, so I just asked him. He said it was complicated. I looked at him, and I blurt out “what are you gay?” he says something, and I ran off. He says he ran after me, but I'm not sure of that. The next day he tells me that he's not gay, but he has just doesn’t feel that way. Afterwards he just hugged me. It was really sweet. He kinda put his face in my neck and just held me...I really liked it and as strange as it sounds...him...and guess what happened today? I got this email from him saying that as much as he cares for me, he doesn't like me like that. So after class as we're packing up, I say something about feeling like he led me on, and he's standing there staring at me, and I say “what?” and he goes “come here...I know you want to” and hugs (or hold? I can't tell) me...it was really nice'

I skip entries to Term 3. Term 2 was hard, I don't want to relive that again. I still can't figure out what was going through his mind back then. I wish I could. He says he needed his space, figure himself out. I find what I'm looking for and sigh. Sean and Grace... that was incredibly painful but I need to relive it, to figure out what I did and why I did it... this is where the fight began.

'September 8/09
Today was incredibly difficult. I (finally) get invited to Sean's spot and I figure out who he likes in less than 10 minutes. He admitted it to me today (I – strangely- feel loved cause I was the first person he's told) in the library. We move outside to talk, and as hard as it was I told him to go for it. I paused and took a deep breath. “I just can't help wishing it were me” I say. I look up at the sky in tears. “I'm okay” I say. “don't worry” Sean says something that I wasn't really listening to, so I go “mmm” and then I come back to earth and I say “huh?”. He smiles. “you need a hug?” so I move over to him and let him hug me gently. After we let go, Sean changes the topic to our group assignment. He asks me if I know if the other group members are here today. I nod “Tara's in the library” I say. Sean nods. “what do you say we go talk to her about this?” he asks. I think he was trying to distract me from how upset I was. Sean stands up, looking at me. I smile, “you go okay? I need a few minutes” I say. Sean nods and leaves. I sit there, holding myself, because that was the only way I could control my pain and how upset I felt. When he comes back out he stops and looks at me “I have to go to the toilet” he says. “Then we'll go to English with Tara OK?” I nod and turn away. I knew as soon as I got up, I was going to either feel everything and break down or feel nothing at all, be completely numb. Suddenly Tara calls my name “Marissa” she calls, I glance up. No, not me, Marissa Breams. I put my head back down. Sean comes back, slides down next to me, and waves at someone. “Tara went off with Ris” I say. “no, she's over there” Sean says. “oh” I say, feeling (if it were possible) more stupid. I put my head back down on my knees. Sean does something incredibly sweet then, he pulls me into him and wraps his arms around me. I know that I want to break down, but I can't. A few minutes later he gently lets me go and I push my arm to steady myself. I go to get up and Sean looks at me. Everything just came crashing back and I realize that this is real. I hold myself again, my hair goes into my face. I push it away impatiently before throwing my arm on my leg. Then I do something that I normally wouldn't. I pretty much collapsed into Sean. My head was on his shoulder and he put one arm around me and with his other hand he squeezes my arm a few times. Then he lets go. “come on”. So I get up and walk with them. Turns out, I'm numb. I can't say that much in English. Sean keeps looking at me, a worried expression on his face. I can't even pretend to tell him I'm okay. I can't lie. After English we walk to the bus bay and I'm stupid enough to admit to him that I thought he was going to do something like kiss my head. But all he says is “I wish I could be as amazingly honest as you” Sean also says that he's hesitating making a move with Grace cause he wants to protect me. I told him there wasn't a need for that. Sean tells me also that I should wear my hair out more often. Apparently it looks better down. Something that stung was him telling me I should pay more attention to how I walk. I can't help how I walk. But I thought that he was incredibly amazing for trying to help me, and I told him so.'

'13/9/09
Well I asked Grace and unfortunately for me, she likes him. I told him and he seems pretty happy that they both feel the same way. Grace called me on Friday night to tell me that he told her that the only reason he was at school on Friday was to see her. I am so glad that I wasn't there. She also told me I have permanently moved to the library with them. I don't think she understands how difficult this is for me. I think the only way to do this is if I have a big fight with Sean and then tell Grace that he doesn't want me to sit with them...I'll wait till next term when I have Olivia's company though'

'15/9/2009
At lunch today Sean (somehow) convinces me to sing for him today. I told him, so he reminds Grace, so we went off by ourselves and I sung “Beautiful Eyes” and “This Is Me”. I know he remembers “This Is Me” well. After I finished he starts whistling the ending of it. They both said I was good. Before that though, but after Roll Class he tells me this awesome idea that he wants to do if formal is canceled. Now I want formal canceled. In English I say something about he should go for it with Grace cause he only has to deal with me for another five weeks. Sean contradicts me “no” he says. I think for a moment, “well, give or take” I say. Then he says something like “I want to stay friends with you for as long as possible” that made me smile. After English we walk together and I point out “its quicker that way” so Sean says “lets go the other way” I get confused for a moment before I realize that he's saying he wants to talk more. P.E was really strange. Sean turns to me and he goes “what if you, me and Grace  go see that movie?” I glance at him confused. “wouldn't it be awkward if I was there?” I ask. “nah” he says “it'd be more awkward with just us” I smile. “there are limits with me you know? And hanging out with just you two? Past my limits” after school I say something like “if I left, you wouldn't say anything”. Sean turns to me “only if it were best for you and if I knew it was what you really wanted” he says. Which I'm taking to mean that if I try and 'break up' with him he's going to know what I'm doing and he won't let me...I kinda want to see what would happen...they know I'm not handling them liking each other, so why are they both trying to make me stay? Sean told me that I'm not part of the reason for him hesitating now. I think he knows I'm going to leave. I told him to hurry up and go for it with Grace before the chance goes'.

'22/9/2009
So, I call Grace today, asking her if she wants to do something. So SOMEHOW that turns into me, her and Sean having lunch at Macca's. It was pretty good, we were all included, there were only a couple of moments where it was like only me and Sean knew what was being said. But it was really cool. Grace left and I turned to Sean, “so I take it your going too?” I ask. He smiles “I knew you'd think that, nah, I can stay for as long as I want”. I smiled back at him. We decided to walk back to my place and I let him meet my family. We talked for a bit, then he decided it was time to walk back so he could go home. On the way, I confessed that I was scared of losing our friendship...its incredibly valuable to me, I also confessed that I was jealous of Grace as he liked her. Sean looks side on at me, “you need a hug” and he hugged me, lifting me up off my feet. I smiled and we kept walking. Then his mum came and I met her, she's really nice. She was teasing Sean about today and how he feels for Grace. It was funny. I didn't say much, I guess I didn't know what to say.'

'28/9/09
So, we decide to do something today right? And then my carer Dorinda turns around and says that because Grace is technically lying to her mum saying that its just me, Dorinda would prefer it if Grace wasn't to come, just to make things easier on her. I call Sean and tell him, he says he's cool with it being just us. So I was slightly confused when I get a message from Sean saying that Grace probably will be able to come...Needless to say it really upset me, I was looking forward to it being just us, it had actually said something to me that he was prepared to hang out just us, I thought that he wanted to hang out just us. So I'm sitting in the toilet crying when Sean rings. “hey, I realized that you couldn't reply to my message” he says. “yeah” I say softly leaving the toilet. I go to my room and sink down against the wall hugging myself. “she says that her mum probably won't mind” Sean says. I nod, “its just...” I took a deep breath “if I suddenly turn around to Dorinda and say that Grace's told her mum, what's she gonna think? I overheard her talking to Brad, worrying whether or not you guys were using me to see each other. She was reassured when you told me it was OK just us. And I don't know what she'll say to this.” I took a shaky breath, and held myself tighter “and I'm going to say this, I don't really want to hold this in anymore, I'm not okay with you two liking each other, I'm not OK hanging out with you guys, I don't like being constantly told what your saying to her, or how you try and flirt with her, I hate it, I feel like I'm going to lose you to her, that I'm not going to be as important to you, that your going to leave me for her -” Sean interrupts me “Marissa, Marissa, Ris” he says softly. I stop “its okay” he says. “I'll text her and tell her that its just us. But it's going to be okay” Dorinda pokes her head around the door, “Marissa, could you come and dry the dishes please?” I nod, “look Sean, just do what you want to do, I don't care” I pause “that's a lie, will I see you tomorrow?” I ask. “yes” Sean says. I hang up. So after that, you could forgive me for being incredibly surprised when Grace texts me, saying she can come, and then rings me. “yeah my mum won't mind” she says confidently. I pause, and go into my room. “Gracie? When did you last talk to Sean?” I ask slowly. “um, about 40 minutes ago, when he told me about your...um...Dorinda saying no to me unless I tell my mum” Grace says. I think for a second, “nothing from him now?” I say. I hear Grace checking her phone. “nope, why?” I take a breath, “he texted me that too, then he called me, I asked him if it could be us...its kinda what I need right now, I...I can't pretend to be okay right now” she pauses, “I'll text him and see what he thinks” she says. I wait, and when she finishes I say “I'm sorry, I do feel bad about this, but I just need Sean right now” I say. “oh” Grace says, “I can back out if you'd like?” I nod, “yes, actually, like I said, I need him” I say. Grace apparently wasn't listening, “ooh, I got a reply” she says. Then she reads it out “to be honest, I do want you there, but I think what she needs is for it to be just me” then she goes “hang on” and there's another message from him “but, while we're on the topic, do you want to do something on Thursday just us?” she reads. I'm in tears, and I feel like I just want to curl into a ball and cry. I'm sitting there crying, “please, just tell him to forget it, he obviously wants you there, just tell him to forget it” I beg. “Marissa, I'm not going to do that” then she goes “hang on, I'll ask him if he does want to do this”. We get a response, “I want you there, I don't know what it'll be like just us, but I know what she needs” Grace turns her attention back to me “please, just tell him to forget it” I say. Grace sighs, “no I won't, but answer me this, do you want me there?” I hesitate. “its a simple answer”. “I do, but what I want and need are two separate things” I say. “he totally wants just you, he doesn't want me there at all...he doesn't want to do this” I can feel my voice breaking, I go to the wall and sink down. “please Grace, just tell him to forget it, I gotta go, bye” I say and hang up. I sat there crying for a while, before I hear a ping on my computer, I get up “I'll meet you down at our park at one, I'll wait half an hour, it'll be just us, do what you want” Sean... I hesitate, my fingers heading to type a reply then I stop, 'why should I make up my mind t his second? Sleep on it Ris' Today, I wake up, and Dorinda's already at work. Brad's left for the airport and I have the house to myself. I check the time 11am. 'wow' I think. I get dressed and watch TV. Then in my own time, I make myself brunch. I consider whether or not I'll go down to the park. I don't think I will. Then something occurs to me. 'shit' I think 'my DVD'. Then I shrug. He can get it from me later. I decide not to go. I get on the computer, and talk to a few of my old friends. *ding dong* I glance at the time. 1.20. I walk to the door and open it. “Sean” I say flatly. “Marissa, I actually thought you'd come” Sean says. I give him a look. “Guess you thought wrong” I say coldly. He gives me that look. The look where he looks so worried, that all I want to do is hold him. I look at him. He keeps looking at me like that, although I suspect that he knows that he's won. I sigh, and grab my keys. “fine” I say. We walk down in silence and sit by the swings. Sean lays down, and I want to cry because all I want to do is put my head on his chest. But what I do instead, is lay down beside him. He looks at me, “wouldn't you know it, I forgot your DVD” I smile, “its OK, next Monday” I say. He keeps looking at me, “are you OK?” he asks. I shrug, “I'm better now” I say. We talk for a while and then he says “neither of us want to hurt you” and then he shows me this text from Grace saying the same thing. Then he gets up to get a drink. He comes back, and steps on my hand “ow” I say. He apologies and then grabs my hand, holding it and rubbing it for a few seconds, I guess as his way of saying sorry. And that was hell, because I wanted him to keep holding my hand. I smile and say it's okay, and move my hand away. Inside I'm screaming for him to take it again. We move over to a table and I hold myself while we talk about the painful stuff. Then as I move up to the bench I look at him “promise me something?” he looks at me, “yeah?” Sean asks. “promise me that when one of us leaves here to do whatever with their lives, that regardless of who or whats happening, that we do something just us to say goodbye?” he nods. “done deal” I smile. Then he moves across so that he's next to me. I turn around so that my backs against the table. “you know when I was upset that Wednesday?” I say, he nods, “all I wanted to do was collapse into you, like on Tuesday, but you were too tired to notice how I was”. He doesn't even hesitate. “do it” he says. “that was Wednesday” I remind him. “so? I know you want to” he says. I smile and then I put my head on his shoulder, he puts his arms around me, and puts his head on my head. I close my eyes, I'm exhausted, but I'm also trying not to get upset again, I was wishing that it could mean everything I wanted it to mean. It felt like ages later that he lifted his head “tired?” I nod, “yeah” I say. Sean keeps his arm around me, but is looking around. “are you going to stay?” he says. I know straight away what he means. “I don't know” I say softly. “I mean, your my best friend, and I like the group, but...” he nods, “yeah I know” he says. He said at one point today that he didn't know what he had to say to convince me that we weren't going to change, I said I had to convince myself. Anyway... the thing is I want to stay, so badly, but I still have feelings for him, and I don't know whether I'm going to be okay with everything next term. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see. At least I'll have Olivia next term.'

CHAPTER 3

I remember those holidays. I was so confused back then. I wanted both Grace and Sean's friendship's, but I couldn't handle them wanting to be together and me being left out, I guess I was so used to being so important to Sean, that I was scared, jealous and so much more at the mere thought of someone else meaning more to him than I did. Something I didn't write that day, was at the holding point I wanted so desperately to tell Sean I loved him (friendship wise) but I was scared. I didn't want to know his answer. So I swallowed it. I hate pretending I'm okay, but I tried. For him? I'd do anything...but I guess it all got too much. I guess by the time it came for our private goodbye, him and Grace meant more than me and him. I don't know, maybe I will soon, but right now I don't know what happened then.

'26/02/10
Worst freaking birthday ever! Kay had to change our birthday party to today, which I was cool about, until I found out why halfway through. So, we're at the party, Grace, Sean, and Kay got me presents, but nobody else knew it was my birthday. The others were apologizing and I'm like “no big deal, you didn't know, its cool” apparently a card was being circulated for me, but I didn't know at the time. Sean got me 'Walking Naked' which I was very happy about, and Grace and Kay got me books as well. So, anyway, its time for cake, and as Kay and I are saying thanks for coming, blah blah blah, Grace hops up, “guys” she says. Kay and I glance at each other, “this party was moved to today for another reason as well as that Kay's dad was away on the original date” we smile. Grace pulls Sean up “Sean got accepted into teaching at Uni, and he's moving down to his aunts tomorrow” There were looks all around, and then everyone claps for Sean, and I'm standing there in a daze. This girl who I've always thought was incredibly quiet, Jenny comes over “Marissa? You okay? You've gone kinda pale” I shrug, “yeah, I...I need some fresh air” I say, Kay glances at me “cake?” I shake my head and sneak upstairs out onto the balcony. A few minutes later, Grace and Sean come into the room, but they don't see me, “I don't think then was the right time” Sean says. “what?” says Grace sounding angry, “you wanted to wait until five seconds before she left?, it was already really mean leaving things till the day before to tell everyone, other people would've liked to say goodbye to you, Kay? Drew? Not to mention -” Sean cut Grace off “alright” he says sounding annoyed. “I didn't think it through”. He sighs. There was quiet, “are you going to say something to her?” Grace asks softly. “I don't know” Sean says, “I don't want to, but I know I'll have to now...I never thought I'd be the one to hurt her like this”. I know he's looking at her, possibly annoyed. It goes quiet again, then “Come here” Sean says softly. I see Grace go over and sit next to him, then he holds her and kisses her. I sink against the wall, completely breaking down. That was the first time I'd seen them do anything like that. I stay hidden, then Jenny and Abbey come up and knock on the door. “oh! sorry to interrupt you guys, but have either of you seen Marissa Day? Kay can't find her”. I see Grace get up, I can't speak, let alone move, so I stay where I am. “I'll come with you guys.” she says, and glances at Sean, “Sean?” she asks. Sean shakes his head, “she won't want me” he says. Grace shrugs, “alright” she says and closes the door. I see Sean sigh and run his hand through his hair. He stands up and opens the door leading out onto the balcony. He steps out and closes the door behind him. Then he spots me “Marissa”. I stand and go inside and down to the lounge room, Jenny hugs me, and I sit on the couch. The others stand around, not sure what to do. Sean comes in and sits next to me and pulls me into his lap. I sit there crying and he holds me tight. He puts his head on top of mine. “Hey...” he says soothingly. We sit there for a while, until I calm down. Grace sits next to us, and Jenny and Kay sit on the floor. I can see Drew, Abbey and a couple of the others standing close by looking worried. I wipe my eyes with my fingers, and Sean pushes me back just a little so he can look at me. “you've changed” I say shakily, but loudly. There were a few Looks, and I see Drew nod. “not telling us until the day before, that's not you...letting Grace tell us? That's not you either” I pause, and I can hear murmurs of agreements, I hop off Sean's lap and stand. Jenny jumps up and puts her arm around me. “I think Grace was right, you were going to wait five seconds before everyone left to tell us. Especially me...what am I that unimportant to you now?” I say angrily. Sean stands. “Marissa” he pleads. “no, its not like that, you should know that, your still important to me”. I laugh. “well it sure looks like it Sean!” I say sarcastically. “And...” I take a deep breath, but the tears are falling again. Jenny tries to hug me, but I stop her. “don't okay? Not right now” she nods, understanding that I need to say this. “And” I continue, “what about the promise that you made me hey? You told me that when one of us left, we'd do something just us, to say goodbye. But no, I just get a general goodbye...The real you? You never would have forgotten something so important. But this new you? I don't mean anything to that person, and if that's how its going to be, then I don't want to know you.” I pause, in tears. “you were my best friend” I whisper. “I loved you”. And then I run. Jenny follows, and so does Grace. “Marissa!” I turn, just  about to go and walk home. Drew came up the path. “May I walk with you?” he asks politely. I nod and we start walking, “Marissa wait”. Sean. I turn. “I would have waited forever for you. But I don't know now”. I say and I start walking. Grace pulls Sean back, “honestly, I'd leave her” I hear Sean sigh frustrated, “Grace, its me, why can't I say something?” I put my Ipod on. I really don't want to hear anymore of this. Drew walks with me, “your right Marissa, he has changed. We all know it, but nobody's said anything” I nod, “please don't Drew” I beg. He nods, a few minutes later we arrive at my house. “thanks” I say. “want me to say anything?” he asks. I think for a second. “yeah, tell him...don't” Drew looks at me puzzled. “just say 'don't ' he'll get it” I say. Drew nods “bye” I say. I close the door and sink behind it crying. I felt broken...It was worse than...anything'

So there it is... I found out that Grace and Sean were together for 3 years. I found Grace on Facebook, shortly after the breakup and we finally got to be good friends. Apparently they were as close as we were. Probably closer.  And then, one day without any explanation, Sean left. Said he needed to be by himself. And then 2 or so years ago he hooked up with Abbey. That was surprising, seeing as he always told me and Grace that he'd never go back to her, and that he can't remember what he saw in her. I'm just surprised that they called his little girl Kaitlin. Actually I'm not sure if Abbey knew about Kaitlin. That's kinda ironic. What I don't understand is how Sean could just completely ignore his promise. That really hurt. I wonder if he remembered all that when we saw each other earlier. I've got no idea, but I know I had flashbacks.
                                                                         
CHAPTER 4

The next day at work Sean picks Kaitlin up at the same time as yesterday. He hugged me while we were inside, and I saw Tessa give me a “look”. One of the boys in my room Ryan comes up and pulls Sean away, “That's OUR Miss Marissa” he says haughtily. We laugh. “Marissa, what time do you finish” Sean asks, picking up Kaitlin. “Um, I'm on till 6.30” I say. “Why?” I ask cautiously. “Can I come over? I'll buy pizza” I smile. “Sure” I say. Sean smiles at me, as I pick Ryan up. “I'll come back then” I nod. “yeah” I say as he leaves. I turn around and Tessa's looking at me very confusedly. “What?” I ask, smiling. “Do you know Kaitlin's dad or something?” she asks cautiously. I smile, “Nah, I'm just going to let a stranger come over to my house so I can...” I leave the sentence hanging and Tessa's mouth drops open. “Tessa! As if! Of course I know him, we used to be best friends”. Tessa smiles. Then I turn my attention to Ryan. “Ryan, that wasn't very nice telling Kaitlin's daddy that I'm your Miss Marissa. Kaitlin's daddy is my friend, and your my friend okay?” Ryan nods. I put him down and he runs off. Sure enough as I walk out to the front desk at 6.30 to leave, Sean's waiting on the couch. “Marissa, are all your kids gone?” Jess, the head of the older kids asks. “Yes” I say. “all our rooms are cleaned up our end, and Tessa's just cleaning the Babies room, where we had the kids”. Jess nods, “I'll see you tomorrow”. I turn my attention to Sean “hey” I say. “I came” he says smiling at me. I nod, “I can see that” I say. We walk out to my car. “I thought you said you'd never get your license” he says teasingly. “Kinda didn't have a choice. Dorinda and Brad told me that I couldn't move out until I had my license... So yeah” I trail off. We drive towards my place, “So, what did you say to Abbey?” I ask cautiously. “I told her I was catching up with a very close friend, who I hadn't seen in years and that I'd catch a cab back...she kinda guessed that it was you” Sean says. We drive in silence, and then we stop at the shops, “I'm too hungry to wait for pizza” I say, “Macca's?” Sean asks, reading my thoughts. I laugh, “yep”. We order and I drive back to my place. Once inside Sean looks around “Nice” he says. I smile.

We eat in silence, I'm wondering why he's here, I don't know what Sean's thinking. Probably wondering how to say whatever he wants to say. I decide to bite the bullet. “What are you thinking about?” I ask, a question I always used to ask Sean when he was quiet. Sean looks at me “You actually”. I glance up, surprised. “yeah?” I ask. “I'm remembering your 18th, holding you on the couch, I didn't know what to say to make you feel okay, I didn't know how to tell you I was leaving without you getting upset...but mostly” he looks at me closely, I meet his eye “mostly I remember the feeling when you said I had changed, you were right, I hadn't changed that much that I'd purposely kiss Grace in front of you, but I didn't listen to you anymore, I forgot how important you were to me, how important I was to you, I knew that you were right...Everyone knew you were right, even me I guess...” Sean took a breath, and took my hand, I glanced down, and then ordered myself to look up. “Marissa, forgetting that promise...I didn't forget. I just figured that everything had changed with us, since Grace, so I thought you wouldn't want to.” I sat looking at him, “there's more to it than that” I say. He nods “wow, see you do know me” He attempts a joke. “your right though, I was a bit self absorbed at that point, and I was only seeing Grace, nothing else, Mum said I had changed dramatically since I began dating her. In a bad way. I went home and told her what had happened, and she agreed with you, I guess I knew I had already upset you enough with dating Grace, and I knew saying goodbye to you would upset you more, because of how much we'd changed, when I promised we wouldn't. And I couldn't upset you...but that backfired hey? Instead of not upsetting you I upset you more” he sighed. “And...I've missed you Marissa” in spite of myself, I smile, “I've missed you too Sean” I say. I go over to him and wrap my arms around him. He puts his arms around me and we sit like that for a while, I go to get up, but he pulls me back into him. When I do get up, I look at him, “are we okay?” he asks. I know he already knows the answer to that “I thought you hated the words “we” and “us” in regards to me and you?" I say teasingly. Sean smiles. “I'll take that for a yes?” I smile. “yeah” I say. “So, When did you and Abbey...?” I say seriously. Sean grabs my hands and pulls me over to the couch. We flop down. “I broke up with Grace just after I caught up with Abbey, I realized that I didn't love Grace and I was just pretending to, and that it was easier for me to be with someone who didn't really want to know me the way that Grace and you did, and I didn't want to hurt Grace, so I broke up with her, and then Abbey and I got together, and Kaitlin was the result,and I guess I felt I had to stick around” he said. I nodded. “Do you...do you regret having Kait?” I ask slowly. Sean looks at me, “In a way, I mean, as much as I care for Abbey, and I love her and Kait, its just, I didn't want Abbey pregnant at that point of the relationship...But on the other hand, if I hadn't have had Kaitlin, I wouldn't have met you again...I've really missed you Marissa, everything about you” I smile. “me too” I say.

There were a couple more questions I had to ask. “How close are you and Abbey?” I ask. “Don't be jealous already!” he teases. I smile, “I'm not, I just...I know how you are with being close to people” I say. He nods, “I don't know, its hard after already going out with her to try and go back out with her, I can't be as close to her as I am – or should I say was – with you. But I'm staying for Kait's sake” I nod again, “I know...After we... ended, I had another chance with my ex, but it didn't work, I tried to be close with him, the way I was with you, but he didn't want to be close, he wanted a more physical relationship” I say. Sean puts his arm around me, “So, you were right all along?”. He says. “Your Ex was using you” I nod. “How much of an idiot can I be?” I ask. Sean looks at me “Your not an idiot okay? He's an jerk” I smile. “Thank you” I say. Sean looks seriously at me, “I mean it Marissa, , he doesn't deserve someone like you, I mean, your an amazing woman Marissa, and not to mention you are beautiful. Not that I see you like that, but I do see you”. I blush, “thanks Sean” I say smiling. He smiles back at me. “there's more your thinking isn't there?” he asks. I glance down, “you caught me” I say smiling. I take a deep breath, “What happened with you and Grace?” I ask. Sean stares at me and I don't look down either. “Like I said, I changed while I was dating Grace, I think I just lost myself in everything with her. And your party was when I begun to see that, but I didn't want to lose her, I guess I was selfish enough to choose finally having a physical relationship with someone over you - my best friend. I didn't stop to think about how much I was hurting anyone, especially you. I let it go for three years, and then I saw Abbey and I knew that I could be myself, the real me, and she wouldn't care, I don't need to constantly be with her, and I don't want to ditch everyone to be with her, I guess with Grace, I had a lot of fun, and it was great getting closer to her before we were dating and I guess I just wanted to keep that closeness going when we started dating, and I thought that to do that, the easiest thing to do would be to forget about everyone else. I knew how much I was hurting you, but I thought I was helping you by involving myself more with Grace. I thought I was letting you get over me. Marissa Breams told me that I was doing more harm than good, which I was very surprised about, and so did Chrissy. She told me that I was being incredibly mean to you, and that I wasn't doing anything for you I was doing it for myself. We ended up fighting because I was mad that she was on your side and not mine. But we're okay now too” Sean took a breath. “I only had Grace left, at that point, and I couldn't pour myself out to her the way I did with you because she never really understood. I mean, the others still were my friends, Drew has always been a bit stiff with me since your party which has sucked, but when I saw Abbey, I knew that I could be okay in a relationship with her because we'd never be able to be close the way we were back then”. I nodded. “So were you and Grace close? I mean, closer than us?  I'm confused” I say, pulling my knees up to my chest and looking down. I'm not sure if I do want to know the answer to this, but it was one of those things where I just had to know.
                                                                                                                                               
CHAPTER 5

Sean grabs me in my ball and pulls me into his lap. He lifts my chin so that I'm looking at him and with his other arm wraps it around me and squeezes. “Marissa, haven't you been listening to anything I've been saying? Yes we were close, very close, but it wasn't us....I told her the things that happened while you were gone, I'll say that she did replace you after you left, but it was a replacement, it wasn't the same thing, your my best friend, I can't tell anyone anything the way I tell you things” he says. I begin to smile, “I don't think there's anybody really that I talk to things more about than you. I tried with Drew, but it failed after the party, I think a few people were annoyed with me for hurting you the way I did, Drew, Kay, Jenny”. He says. I nod, “I know, I've talked to Kay and Jenny a lot and before they realized that I couldn't talk about it, they were constantly saying how horrible it was of you. And then Grace was kinda saying the same thing after you guys broke up and we got to be friends.” I say. “But” I say, “I didn't know that Drew was still cranky about it”. Sean nods, “yeah, we only just started getting to be good friends just before the wedding”. My mouth drops open, I was that shocked. “Wedding?” I splutter. Sean looks at me, “Yeah, Abbey and I got married last March”. I nod, “nobody said anything to me” I say dazed. “Well, you didn't stay in contact with Drew did you?” I shake my head, “didn't know him well enough to” I say. “and Kay went, but not Jenny, and Grace didn't know either” Sean says. I nod again and Sean pulls me close and holds me.

“I can't believe I didn't know” I say. Sean rests his head on mine, “I'm sorry, I wanted you to be there, but Kay said you wouldn't want to come, and nobody would give me any of your contact details, I tried to pass on a letter from Kay to you, but Kay read it and said you didn't need to know, that you were okay these days and that you should be allowed to stay that way” I smile at Kay's protectiveness. “I'm glad I didn't know, but I wish I did” I sniffle. “I feel like there's so much I've missed out on with you, I feel like I don't know you” I say. Sean smiles at me. “you still do, we just need a history lesson” he says. I smile. Over the next two hours we relive the last seven or so years of our lives, and by the time Sean decides he should go I feel like we haven't been apart. Sean voices my opinion as we say goodbye and I smile. “So, I'll see you on Thursday” he says. I'm puzzled. “huh?” I say. “That's Kaitlin's next day” he says teasingly. I smile, “Now I'm the one with the bad memory” I say and we hug. Sean tries to lift me off my feet and I laugh. He puts me down and I wave goodbye then shut the door before going to curl up in bed to think everything over.

I gotta admit I was pretty upset about not being invited to the wedding. There is such things as White Pages, so it wasn't like Kay was the only way to talk to me. I really wish I could have seen it. And what about the letter that Sean apparently wrote me? I never saw that either. I wonder what he wrote? I look at my computer. 'Aha!' I thought. 'Facebook'. I sit over at the computer and go onto Kay's profile, and click on photo's. Kay was tagged in an album “Sean and Abbey's wedding” I click on the album and go through the photo's. They were really good, Sean looks really happy. At one photo there's a comment from Chrissy on a photo tagged “Sean and his school friends”. Chrissy wrote: “Awesome photo, but I know there's at least one person missing, and I don't mean me”. Marissa Breams had written, “Me? :P” and then Sean had written “Close, very close, but no not you”, I check out the rest of the photo's. Sean looks amazing, and they both look very happy with each other. I smile and I click on Sean's profile. His photo was one from mine and Kay's party of me and him... Which I was quite surprised about... I glance through his profile, there's a couple of funny status's, but a quiz catches my eye, 'Who Misses You?'... the answer was an old best friend, and Sean had written 'I wonder if this is right, I know I miss this person...' I smile and then I hesitate before clicking 'add'. Then I shut down the computer and go to bed.


CHAPTER 6

 Abbey drops Kaitlin off on Thursday morning. “Marissa?” she asks. I walk over to her. “Hi Abbey” I say smiling. “I was wondering, is there a spot for Kaitlin on a Wednesday?” she asks. I check the roll. “Not right now, but I know that we've got someone leaving in a couple of weeks, would you like me to put your name down for the spot?” I ask.  She nods, “And also, Sean and I have just moved here, so we don't know anyone, so I was wondering if I could ask you to babysit Kaitlin tonight?” she asks. I'm surprised but I try and hide it, “sure, I'm on till close though” I say. Abbey nods. “Seven?” she asks. I nod again. Abbey gives me Kaitlin “Sean'll give you directions when he picks her up” Abbey says briskly.  I smile. “Thank you Marissa” Abbey says. “I haven't been out properly with Sean, well, since High School. I married a man who I barely know” I look at her, “wow, High School?” I say, pretending to be surprised. “Yes, We went out, then we broke up...I don't know why... and I know he's gone out with a couple of people... At our wedding we were with our old crowd, but there was one person who I really wanted to see again... his best friend, but a friend of ours, Kay, told me that they hadn't talked since her 18th when he was a jerk and chose his girlfriend over her – his best friend.”. Abbey took a breath, “and I wanted to talk her, to see if she could help me get to know my Husband again. He told me on Tuesday afternoon that he was meeting up with her, and I didn't know whether to be jealous or not. I'm worried that they're going to hit it off too well” she says. Abbey smiles at me “I'm sorry, you don't need to know this” she says. I shrug “Its okay, I know how you feel, but I don't think they'll do that. I betcha she liked him when they were friends, but he went out with someone else and that's what ended the friendship. I think he loves her, but not that way” I say.  Abbey smiles at me “Wow, you're good, cause that's exactly the truth on how it ended...well from what I got of the fight” she says. “Abbey...” I say, hesitating, wondering whether I should tell her that I'm Sean's best friend. Then Tessa runs up, “Jess's vomiting” she says. I smile apologetically and run off, “I'll see you tonight Abbey” I call over my shoulder.

I didn't even remember that I was babysitting Kaitlin until Sean was about to leave. That day had been a busy one. I ended up sending three children home sick, and I had to tell all our parents in my room that there was a virus going around. “Sean!” he turns at the door and I walk over to him. “Firstly, there's a virus going around in my room. So far three of these guys have it, so just keep an eye on Kait” he nods, “I'll tell Abbey” he says. Then he remembers. “Oh, apparently your babysitting tonight?” he asks. “Yeah, that was the second thing” I say. “Um, I'll come back by cab at close, and I'll direct you to our place” he says. I nod. “I'll tell you the third thing then, okay?”  I say. Sean nods. “Bye” he says.

I leave right on time today, I nearly thought I wasn't going to be able to leave because one of the mum's in my room was nearly late, and then she wasn't happy with not being called about the virus. I apologized, and I manage to make her pleased by telling her that the next time something like this happens, I'll ring her and ask her whether or not she want's to pick her child up. We walk out talking and I see Sean waiting again. “Hey Sean” I say. He smiles at me, and I wave goodbye to the mother and child. I leave and we go out to my car. “I'll drive” Sean says. I smile. “So, what did you want to tell me?” he asks. I sigh and then tell him about Abbey wanting to know him the way I knew him. He smiled. “Well, nobody can know me the way you know me” Sean says bluntly. “But I'm glad she's trying”. I smile. “I'll tell her at dinner” he says. “Do you think she'll be okay?” I ask. Sean nods. “Hey, I told mum about seeing you again” he says. I look at him, “yeah?”. Sean nods, “yeah, she was happy. She did say that she liked you for having the guts to tell me that I had changed so much” I laugh. “Well like I said back then, I can't sit there and pretend that I'm okay when I'm not” I say. Sean looks at me, “and are you okay?” he asks, giving me “the look” that he used to give me where I all I wanted to do (as a result of the look) was hold him. I look back at him “yeah, I am” I say softly. “you don't sound too happy about that” he says laughing. I laugh too. “I am, I'm just remembering when you used to ask me that, and I felt that I had to say yes. I hated seeing you worried about me” I say.
We pull up at Sean and Abbey's house and Sean opens my door for me. I smile as I get out and Kaitlin comes running down the driveway. “Daddy!... Miss Marissa? What are you doing here?” she asks. I laugh “Miss Marissa's staying with you while Mummy and Daddy go out” I say. I pick her up, “Is that Okay?” I ask. She thinks for a second “Only if you read me a hundred stories” she says. Sean, Abbey and I laugh. “hmm, maybe ten?” I ask. Kaitlin thinks, “no, a hundred”. I smile and I say “we'll see”. Abbey walks me around the house and fills me in on that I just need to bath Kaitlin and put her to bed. “Can you finish your hundred stories by 7.30?” she asks smiling. I nod. We go out to the kitchen and Sean says “Marissa you haven't had anything to eat for awhile hey?” he asks. “Right!” says Abbey, “there's leftover pizza in the fridge, or you can just heat up some noodles if you'd prefer that”. I nod. “Emergency numbers? Your numbers?” I ask. Sean holds up what I thought was his phone which was actually my phone. “Mine and Abbey's are in here, the restaurant's and Cinema  are on the fridge, and our next door neighbor is home if you need anything” Sean says. I smile, “well that's perfect” I say, “you guys go, have a good time” I say. Abbey grabs her purse and Sean puts my phone back in my purse, “We'll be back at about 11?” Abbey says. I nod, “that's fine, I'm off tomorrow anyway” I say. I shut the door behind Abbey and Sean and I turn to Kaitlin, “Bath time?” I ask.

I give Kaitlin a bath and then I take her to her room, put her pajamas on her, and I read her two stories before I saw her eyelids flutter. As I go to leave she goes “turn Daddy's song on”. Which I do, and am slightly surprised to hear “This is Me”. “Leave the door open” Kaitlin says and I nod. I head downstairs and eat the leftover pizza and wash up. Then I sit and decide to read a book with the T.V on for noise. As I'm looking in the bookcase I find a box. I open it because I think that it's wedding photo's but no. There's our yearbook, I look at the autographs, Marissa Breams, Chrissy, Grace, all our group, there's mine 'keep in touch, you'll go far in life, remember, you're amazing! thank you for everything you've done...Love Marissa xx' I can't even remember what he wrote in mine. I haven't looked at that in ages, I find this little black book at the bottom of the box. I open it curiously, I guess I thought it was an autographs book or something. I saw the date up the top and realized it was a diary. Before I had a chance to do anything the phone rang. I quickly put the diary back and grabbed the phone, “Hello, Brown residence, Marissa speaking” I say calmly, but my hearts racing. “Marissa its Abbey, I forgot to mention something important, Kaitlin sleeps with a nappy on at night” she says in a rush. “oh of course” I say. “Sorry, I...She doesn't wear one of the day at daycare, so I didn't think to ask” I say. “I'll go put one on her now, where are they?” I ask heading towards her room, “In her drawer, in the first one” Abbey instructs. “okay anything else?” I whisper. “no, thanks Marissa” Abbey says. “bye” I whisper and hang up. I gently put a nappy on Kaitlin, luckily she hadn't wet her pants. Then I went back to the lounge room where the diary was staring at me. I sighed. I knew that if I didn't do it, I'd miss out on knowing whatever he was thinking back then. And I doubt he'd ever know what I had done.
CHAPTER 7

SEAN'S DIARY

'March 16th 2009
So, Marissa asks me out. I wasn't expecting it. I mean Marissa Breams had told me that Marissa liked me, but I wasn't expecting her to do anything about it. I sat there for a few moments before saying that it was complicated  and Marissa asks me if I'm gay. I say something along the lines of “something like that” and she gets up and runs away. I try and get Lucy's head off my lap so I can go after Marissa, but Lucy won't move. The next day I ask Marissa if we can talk, and she agrees. I could see that she was incredibly upset, so I hug her. I don't think she wanted to let go, so I hold her tightly and lay my head on her shoulder, facing towards her neck. I don't see Marissa that way. Anyway, she emails me on the weekend and I reply explaining that as much as I care about her, I don't see her like that. She gets it during maths, and just as we're leaving Marissa goes “I just feel like you led me on” she says before grabbing her bag. I smile at her, “what?” she asks. “Come here” I say. Marissa hesitates. “you know you want to” I say. Marissa allows me to hug her. I hope she realizes that I'm not leading her on'

'September 8th 2009
I invited Marissa to sit with us today. She figured out that I like Grace pretty quickly. We were sitting in the library and she asks me if I like Grace. I consider lying to her, but I couldn't. I sigh “yeah” I say. Marissa and I move outside and sit at our spot. Marissa glances quickly at me, “you should go for it” she says before looking away. Then Marissa tilts her head back and looks at the sky. “I just...I can't help wishing it were me” she says. “I'm okay” she says softly. “Don't worry”. I look at her, thee are tears in her eyes and she's hugging herself. “You need a hug?” I ask her. She nods and moves over to hug me. I hold her close but tightly, trying to find some way to make her okay, but at the same time I'm hoping that me holding her will make it okay. I let go of her and gently turn the conversation to our English assignment, hoping to distract her from her pain. Marissa attempts a smile as she tells me where another group member is. I smile and hop up, offering Marissa my hand. “You go” she says. Marissa explains that she needs a couple of minutes. I decide to leave her. I go and talk to Tara for a few minutes. As I get up Tara goes “time to go, do you where Marissa is?” I nod, “outside I think, I'll just go to the toilet and we'll go”. Tara nods and I go outside. I spot Marissa, who was still where I left her, holding herself again, and I feel incredibly guilty for hurting her the way I have. I go to the toilet and come back as Tara comes over. I wave her away as I slide down besides Marissa. Marissa tells me that Tara went off with Marissa Breams. I point out that Tara's waiting for us and Marissa puts her head back down on her knees. I didn't even think about what I was doing, I just pulled her into me, and wrap my arms around her.  I hold her, and then let go a minute or so later. Marissa unfolds herself and goes to get up. She catches my eye and her eyes fill with tears again. Marissa holds herself again and throws her arm on her leg before collapsing into me and leaning her head on my chest. I hold her again. 'awww' I think. I put one arm around her and with the other I squeeze Marissa's arm a few times. When I let go she gets up and comes with Tara and I. Marissa doesn't say much in English which makes me look at her quite a few times trying to ask if she's okay. She looks back at me, but barely responds. After English we walk together and Marissa admits that she thought I would kiss her on the head. I hate, but I love Marissa's honesty. “I wish I could be as amazingly honest as you are” I say. Marissa nods. “it can be a bad thing though” she says. Marissa looks really upset still. “Marissa, I don't know if anything will happen with me and Grace. I'm incredibly protective of you and I don't want to hurt you” I say. Marissa looks at me “don't not do anything. You don't have to worry about me” she says. But I do worry about her. A lot. There was then talk about what I do see of Marissa. I reluctantly tell her that I think it looks really nice when she wears her hair out. I know she'll keep it out now.'

I skip to the day at the park. I wonder if he wrote anything then...Apparently he did. I glance at the time its only 9.30pm. Lots of time.

'September 28th 2009
I decided to do something with Grace and Marissa again. But Marissa's carer's apparently have said that until Grace tells her parents that I'm actually there, they'd prefer it if she didn't come. I text Grace and tell her. When I ring Marissa I say that  I'm all for convincing Grace to tell her parents, but Marissa is pretty hurt that I don't (in her opinion) seem to want to spend any time with just her so I agree to ring Grace and tell her that it's just going to be us. I didn't though though, I knew that Grace would call Marissa, and I guess I thought that Marissa would pretend to be okay and say yes to Grace. I just really wanted to see her, I thought Marissa would be okay.  So later I get a text from Grace asking me what's happening and if its just actually going to be me and Marissa the next day. I text back that that's true, and a few minutes later I get a reply asking what I actually want to do. I hesitate, and then I text that I'd prefer it if she was there as well, but I know what Marissa needs. As soon as I hit send I have an idea, so I quickly text Grace asking if she wants to do something just us on Thursday. I get a reply a few minutes later, “Marissa says to forget tomorrow, I made the mistake of telling her what you were saying, and I'm busy on Thursday” I ring Grace and she says that Marissa was practically in tears when she told her that I wanted her there, and that Marissa hung up on Grace. I don't say that much. I know I'm killing Marissa. I email Marissa once I'm off the phone saying that I'll see her tomorrow. I was pretty surprised when she didn't come. So I went up to her house. I had no idea what to expect, whether she'd be at home, or whether she'd talk to me or not. I rung the doorbell and waited nervously. She answered it. I knew she was surprised that I had come. I plead with her to come, and I must have done something right cause she came. We talked for ages, about everything with Grace and us. At one point she asks me to promise her to say goodbye to her, just us when one of us leaves. I said yes. Hopefully I can remember this. Or hopefully she reminds me of it when the time comes. I told her to collapse into me at one point, and I just sat there with her. I kinda hoped that she realized at that point that I did want to be there with her, and that I'm not going to leave her, and that she is important to me, and I never want that to change.'

there's an entry from my birthday... this should be interesting...

'February 26th 2010
I got accepted into the Uni course I wanted. I told Grace straight away. The only thing was I had to leave on the 27th. So when Kay said that her and Marissa's birthday party was being moved I asked if the 26th was okay. It was actually Marissa's birthday that day, but Kay was cool with it. She spent her actual birthday clubbing with some friends. Grace suggested telling everyone together, and until Marissa yells at me for forgetting my promise, I had completely forgotten about the promise. So when we're about to have cake, Grace jumps up and tells the group, as everyone congratulates me, Marissa disappears. I'm looking for her, but then Grace pulls me away. We go upstairs to the guest room. I get angry at Grace for telling them like that, completely forgetting that it was my idea, and Grace fights back. I guess I knew I had lost Marissa, so I gave up fighting with Grace and we made up by kissing. I considered letting it go further than kissing, I figured everyone would be gossiping about my news, so I fall back onto the bed, and as Grace and I are making out, Jenny and Abbey (my ex) walk in, Jenny blunders an apology about interrupting us and says “Don't worry, I don't think you guys have seen Marissa”. Grace gets up “I haven't, but I'll help you find her”. She turns back to me, smiling at me, “coming?” she asks. I shake my head, “she doesn't want me right now” I say. Grace nods and shuts the door. I go out onto the balcony and as I look down at the door, I see Marissa, I say her name and she walks off downstairs without saying a word to me. I follow her and she sits on the couch. I sit with her, pull her onto my lap and attempt to comfort her. She calms down, and then she yells at me for changing the way I was when I started dating Grace, for forgetting her, and especially her promise. Then she runs off. I run after her, but she whispers “I would have done anything for you, but now... I don't know”. Grace tells me to stay and Drew walks her home. He comes back and I step forward, knowing that Marissa would have passed on some message. “don't” he says. I look at him confused. “that's what she said” Drew explained. I nodded.  The others went back inside helpfully avoiding the topic of Marissa. Little did I know they agreed with her. Grace and I sat on the couch and she held my hand, she knew that I had lost my best friend. “I'm not on your side completely” she says. “I agree with Marissa. And I thought it was really wrong to say goodbye like this. I remembered your promise to her. I didn't say anything because it was your job to remember. Not mine...But this is between you and her, or it was, I don't want this to hurt us” she says. I nod and Grace hugs me. I sit there holding her, hating myself for losing someone so important to me.'
So that's what happened after I left. I wish I hadn't have read that. I didn't really want to know that my party was the first time that they had gone further than kissing. I really didn't want to know that. I sit there for a second breathing heavily. I go to shut the diary, I figured that seeing as it was old, that it would have ended when I left him. But no, there's more. I flip through, two more entries. I glance at the time again. 10. Yeah, I still have time...Okay, the date on this one says that its around the time that Grace and Sean broke up.

'July 6th 2013
My 21st today. There was this big party with Grace, our families, and all our friends. Lucy had helped by inviting some of the others like Tara, Chrissy, and Marissa Breams. I have to admit, I looked for about half an hour for Marissa Day. Marissa Breams comes up and kisses me. “Happy Birthday!” she says. I smile. “How are you?” I ask. She smiles “Great! You?” I smile, “I'm great as well Ris” I say. I really want to know if Marissa Day is here, but I don't want to ask. I excuse myself and keep walking. Mum comes over to me. “Surprised?” she asks. I laugh, “yeah” I say, “Grace did a great job”. I'm distracted and Mum knows it. “She's not here” Mum says. I look at her,  and pretend to be confused. “who?” I say. Mum gives me a look, “Marissa Day”. I nod, “I wish she were” I say, feeling upset. Mum hugs me. “I know...I know you miss her...She told me that she missed you too” Mum says. I look at her. “What? When?” I say. “I called her a week or so ago. I told her your 21st was coming up, and she said that she realized that, I told her that I was pretty sure that you missed her, she sighed and said that she missed you, and she asked me how you were doing lately, and when I mentioned that you were still with Grace, she asked if that meant you were still the person you were when she left you, and I hesitated, so that gave her the answer she wanted, and she declined my invitation and we hung up. It didn't even change things that you miss her.” I sigh. “I really want to see her again. I want to apologize”. Grace comes over. “Embarrassing photo's time” she says smiling. I pretend to care, “What did you do?” I say in a shocked voice to Mum. She smiles, knowing that I'm pretending to care.

Later, Grace goes home, and I'm glad for it. I want to be by myself. I look back at our yearbook, and I go into flashback mode on Marissa; after Math class when I hugged her, when I told her I liked Grace, Term 3 Holidays, her party, and other memories. I remember how close we were;  I remember telling her that the whole thing with me, her and Grace had brought me and her (Marissa) closer. I remember when she confided in me that Dorinda and Brad weren't her parents, when she told me what happened for her to have to go into care. So many memories. Then I look at my autographs page, which I never actually looked at before...guess it escaped my memory. There were  messages from Grace, Marissa Breams, Chrissy, Lucy, Tara and some of the others, then I found Marissa's message. 'Keep in touch, you'll go far in life, thank you for everything you've done...Love Marissa xx'. I smile at her message, I knew she would have hesitated over the “Love” and the “xx” I desperately want to call her and talk to her, but I can't. I can't find the courage to get her number, not to mention to dial her number. I miss talking to her, I miss her knowing me better than anyone, except mum, she knew me better than Grace, I also miss knowing her the way I did. I think she still would know me, even now, I tell Grace things, but I feel like I'm just replacing Marissa, its not the same talking to Grace as it is with Marissa. I really miss her, she was my best friend. I loved her, although I'd never told her that. The moment never came, I knew I'd tell her when we said goodbye, but it never happened. I wish I could see her again, somehow I'd find a way to make her okay, I'd hug her as my way of saying sorry, and then I'd talk to her about everything and try and make it better. I don't know if I can pretend to Grace that we're fine, and that we're best friends as well as lovers anymore. I wish I could ask Marissa's advice.'

so, that's....wow...I'm speechless...I don't even know what to say... maybe this last entry will help me to find something to say.

'August 17th 2017
So, I caught up with Abbey, and we ended up falling for each other again, I broke up with Grace, and one thing leads to another, then 2 months later Abbey rings me saying that she's pregnant, what else do I do? I stay with her. 7 months later we have Kaitlin (the name isn't my idea...I liked the name Emily) and then I decide that seeing as I'm in this for a while, I'll propose. Abbey accepted and we got married last March. I wanted Marissa there so badly. I asked Mum and Kay, but they both refused to talk to her or let me. They both said that Marissa was fine these days and that she didn't need the past being dredged up. I guess they were right. I didn't really feel like celebrating without Marissa, but I didn't know how to contact her and I sure as hell couldn't say anything to Abbey, so I left it. I really wish she was there. The only good thing about the wedding was Drew being there. He's finally forgiven me for hurting Marissa that much. You know, I think he liked her... not that I'd ever tell her that. Marissa hates being told that people see her that way...Anyway,  I was still missing her when Abbey decided to go back to work. I couldn't take Kaitlin as I'm a teacher these days, and unfortunately the preschool said they couldn't take her until she was at least 3 and a half. So we enroll her into the local childcare centre, and I go to pick her up on her first day, but nobody was in the room. I'm looking around, and on the wall I spot the teacher profiles. I read about the Assistant, Tessa, who sounded nice, then I glance at the Leader's profile. Marissa. I glance at the picture, and I recognize her eyes. I smile 'wow' I thought. 'I've finally found her, after seven years'. There's a polite cough behind me and I see Marissa. She doesn't recognize me yet, I think that's cause she hasn't actually looked at me yet. “I'm Kaitlin's dad” I say. Marissa smiles, and goes over to the fridge. “Marissa” I say. She looks at me, I know she knows. Then Marissa really smiles and I laugh and I walk over and hug her. I wanted to tell her how much I missed her, but I didn't want to remind her of anything right then. I let go, and she stumbles and leaves to get Kaitlin. There's a remembering moment when Kaitlin announces that Marissa played my old favorite “This Is Me”, I know Marissa's remembering everything we were, and the song. At that point I lost myself in thought remembering when she sung “This Is Me” for me. Kaitlin interrupts, and I say goodbye. The next day I ask Marissa for dinner, and she accepts, -knowing her - without knowing that everything will be talked about, and we did, I told her what happened with me and Grace, and meeting up with Abbey, and we talked about the old days, and her party, and Everything we were. I want to go back to how we were, but I know that it'll take time, I can't say that I want to be better than what we were, cause I know that the only thing better than what we were would be more than friends, and there's no chance of that ever happening. I really care for Marissa, and I love her heaps. Just, it could never be that way...I could never see her that way, I don't know why, I mean she's amazing and all, I think – and I feel incredibly shallow for admitting this, even if its just on paper – that its because of how she was back then. I don't think she was over what her parents had done to her, I think if she tried to get into a relationship with someone who knew, it wouldn't work because she couldn't pretend not to be afraid... Also, although I love Marissa, I just can't see her that way, I know that in due time someone will, but I can't...I don't think I ever could. I mean, I see her, but I can't really see her the way someone else will. She's just not attractive to me... I mean I know she's attractive...just not to me...But I'm really glad she's back in my life...'

Ouch! I shouldn't have read that though, it's kind of my own fault for reading it...I pack up the box in a daze and I look at the clock again. Nearly eleven. Luckily I'm off tomorrow, I think I'll need it...The door opens and I walk over to the door and open the wooden door, “Hey Marissa” Sean says. I pretend to smile. “Kaitlin's fine” I say to Abbey. She smiles. “That's the first time we've left her with someone” Abbey says. I nod, “feel free to ring me again.” I say. Abbey tries to give me money and I refuse “No, I can't, your already paying me for Kaitlin being in care, I can't accept, seriously...” Abbey gives in and puts the money away “Well, I have to repay you somehow” she says. I smile “Something might come up sooner or later”. I say to make Abbey feel better. It works. “I'll come with you home” Sean says. Abbey nods. “I think I know the way to my house” I say. “I insist” says Abbey. I give in. “alright” I say. I say goodbye to Abbey and Sean climbs into the drivers side. “do you remember how to get to my house?” I ask teasingly. Sean nods “Believe it or not, my memory has improved”. I laugh “I'll believe it when I see it” I joke. Sean sighs, “I told Abbey” he says. I take the sigh as a bad thing, “yeah?” I say cautiously. “She's happy, but she was worried, and then she told me about your conversation with her earlier, and she said that now that she knows the truth about us that she's okay with it”. I nod as we pull up at my house.

As I go to get out I pause, “Sean? I love you” I say. He glances at me surprised. “Is this...” he trails off, but I know what he means “as friends” I say. He nods, “I thought you knew that by now that I love you too? I mean, only as friends, but...” I shake my head. “I didn't...and then” I pause... “yeah?” Sean asks. “Your box fell out of the bookshelf, and as I'm picking everything back up to go in I saw a notebook open with my name in it, so I guess I had to read it, and I found out more than I wanted to know”. Sean grips my hand. “Like what?” he asks. “You and Grace fooling around at my party?, that you can't see me that way, that I'm not attractive to you” I say softly, turning away in tears. Sean gets out of the car and walks around to my side. He grabs my hand and pulls me out and inside my house. He takes me into the lounge room and sits on the couch holding me. “I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have written that” he says. I shrug, “its the truth” I say. “don't hold back” Sean pulls me into him, nearly crushing me. “Marissa, hey” he says soothingly. “I'm sorry, I thought you knew I wouldn't?” he says. I breath, “I knew you wouldn't, but it still feels like you've stabbed me” I say. “I thought, even though you didn't see me like that, that you'd at least see me...I bet you a million dollars that I see the real you more than Abbey does” I say. Sean  smiles at me “Well, your right, but I'm not giving you a million dollars, cause I owe you like three million now hey?” I laugh. “yeah” I say. Sean tilts my head back to look at him, “Marissa, you are beautiful and amazing,and anyone would be lucky to date you, but I'm not the person for you...I'm here to be your best friend, to support you, and love you, and be there for you, and that's why your here for me...I promise you that someday soon someone's going to come and sweep you off your feet, I just hope that you don't leave me behind the way I left you...although I'd deserve it...” he pauses and goes back to holding me. I feel better, “so I am your best friend?” I ask. He smiles “yeah, I do have other close friends, but you are very important to me...and before you ask, I do really love you, I'm not just saying that” he finishes gently. He glances at the time, “Ris, I gotta go, I've got school tomorrow” I smile, “its cool”. He calls a cab and right before he goes, he hugs me and lifts me off my feet, “Take care of yourself Marissa” he says. As he goes to go I call out “Sean!” he turns. “You called me 'Ris'” I say. He looks puzzled. “I did?” I nod and he smiles. “I guess I did” he says and waves before going.

I'm sitting in bed the next morning watching the news when the phone rings. “Hello?” I say glancing at the time. Its 9ish, still pretty early. “Marissa Day?” a female voice enquirers. “yes?” I say putting on my professional voice. “Its Terri Jones from head office here, I have the results from your job interview for the job in Tasmania?” Terri tells me. I blank for a second before remembering. “yes?” I ask hopefully. “you've been successful in the job, are you still interested?”  I smile “of course” I say. She asks me to start in two weeks. I hang up in a daze and start making calls.

First I ring Dorinda and tell her. She was extremely happy for me. Then I ring the real estate agent and inform them that I'm leaving. I ring work next to inform them that I'm transferring. They are quite happy for me. Then I ring the removal company for boxes and to book a truck. Then I book my airfares and ring Grace. She tells me straight away that I'm living with her until I'm on my feet. I text Sean while I'm talking to Grace and tell him via text. He texts back immediately 'when are you leaving?” I tell him that I'm leaving on Saturday. “well, I guess you'll be busy Friday night then?” I'm puzzled. “huh?” I say. Grace and I hang up. Then Sean rings me. “You're with me Friday night...you really think I'm going to let you leave without saying goodbye?” he asks. I smile, “um...” I say jokingly. He laughs. We make plans and hang up. I start to pack, then I find the yearbook. Sean's autograph is there. “thanks for being such an amazing friend. Believe in yourself. Keep in touch okay? I'll never forget you. Love, Sean” I smile, and keep packing.

On Thursday Lucy, Abbey and Kay took me out shopping and we ended up meeting up with Kostos, Jenny and Rachael and Drew called and told me that I was catching up with him when I was settled. It was great to be with the group again. Apparently at Kay's and mine 30th birthday we're all catching up as our group again. Sean had work so he couldn't come.

I got home on Friday night from my last day at work to find Sean sitting on my doorstep. I smiled and we went inside. “I want you” he says to me seriously. I glance at him, “to be Kaitlin's godmother” he says. I smile, “okay” I say. “so now you don't have an excuse to not keep in touch, and visit, I expect yearly visits” he says. I laugh, “alright”. We talked for ages, I tell him that I am excited to see Grace again. I then tell him that Drew told me that I'm catching up with him when I'm settled, and Sean gives me a knowing look. I throw my pillow at him, “What?” I say. He smiles “nothing”. I slapped him, and he surrenders and says something about Drew apparently liking me back then. I laughed. “yeah right” I say. When its time for him to go I don't want him to, I hold myself at the front door, and he looks at me. I unlock the door and then I walk away, I couldn't say goodbye to him, that was going to hurt too much. Sean walks over to me, and turns me to him, he keeps his hands on my shoulders, “What was that?” he says, “This isn't goodbye, you've lasted seven years without me, its only one okay?” he says. I glance down, and Sean pulls me into him. I cry and he just stands there hugging me tightly. When he pulls back, I'm surprised to see that he looks upset too. Sean pulls me in again and kisses my forehead. We stay like that for a while, then he kisses my cheek gently “Take care of yourself Marissa, I'll see you in a year”. I nod and wave goodbye, knowing that it's not goodbye this time, its more of a see you in the distant future. I know I'm going to be okay. I can feel it. 'And plus' I think to myself 'I can't be too upset, I get to see Grace again!'. I close the door and curl up in my bed, falling straight asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment